It’s the 4th quarter and time is running out for your bank to reach its sales numbers. If your bank is like most banks, 80% of your bankers are probably not going to meet their loan, deposit and fee income goals. The good news is that the other 20%, the top producers are going to make up for the other 80%. Your top producing bankers are looking forward to the 4th quarter because they know they are going to benefit from all the work they have put in all year.
So here’s the question of the day…what can all of your bankers do to make the 4th Quarter better for everyone?
#1) Have your bankers meet with your top 10 or 15 existing business clients to get a firm idea of what their end of the year and 2017 needs are going to be. The last thing you want your bankers to do is let your existing business clients ("low hanging fruit") discuss future banking needs with a competitor banker first.
And when your banker finds out what their client’s needs are, they should do whatever they can to capture it in advance – ask lots of detail questions about their needs, get started gathering financial data and setting up meetings with key bank managers and product experts - but do everything they can NOW to secure their client's business in advance.
#2) Next, have your bankers do the same thing with their short list of "hot business prospects" they have identified. Once again, your bankers should contact them and do the same thing - arrange dates for sales calls, ask questions about their future challenges and next year’s priorities, create a since of urgency for the end of the year and let them know that the bank is ready to take care of their needs - and them make sure to follow up with them in person every week or two!
#3) Schedule product and sales training for your bankers now! Just short one-hour refresher training to help your bankers improve their knowledge and selling skills. Make sure your bankers have fresh ideas, techniques and strategies in place by October. Now is the time to get your bankers sharp, to reinforce effective sales activities and techniques so they are ready to go.
#4) Remind every banker of their sales goals numbers and the sales activities they are expected to perform to reach those goals! If your bankers are not clear about their own personal sales goals numbers or what sales activities they must perform, they will not make their goal.
#5) Have your bankers commit to making at least 1 sales call per day to either an existing business client or hot prospect for the rest of the year. With every sale call your bankers will improve their chances of reaching their annual sales goals.
I can’t guarantee that 100% of your bankers will reach their goals by the end of the 4th quarter but I can guarantee that you’ll create a lot of sales opportunities…for the 4th quarter and 2017! And isn't that what you really want?